Saint-Quentin, a town of France, in the department of Aisne, on the Somme, 80 m. N. E. of Paris; pop. in 1872, 34,811. It is well built, the principal streets converging into the Grande Place, which contains the Gothic town hall supported by eight columns. A still more celebrated Gothic building is the cathedral. The town is a great centre of the cotton manufacture, and many other articles are made here, including woollens, machinery, and beetroot sugar. There is a brisk trade in grain, flax, hemp, cattle, etc. The canal of St. Quen-tin, which connects the basins of the Oise and Somme with that of the Scheldt, upward of 50 m. long, is of great commercial importance. - Under the Romans the town was known as Augusta Vermanduorum. In the middle ages it was the capital of the duchy of Vermandois till 1215, when it was annexed to the crown. The Spaniards captured it in 1557 after a memorable battle (Aug. 10), and two years afterward it was restored to France. During the Franco-German war, Jan. 19, 1871, it was again the scene of a great battle, resulting in the disbandment of the French northern army under Faidherbe.