Samuel Prideanx Tregelles, an English scholar, born in Falmouth, Jan. 30, 1813, died in Plymouth, April 24,1875. His parents were Quakers, but he himself became connected with the Plymouth Brethren. He was educated at Falmouth grammar school, was employed in the iron works at Neath Abbey, Glamorganshire, and in 1836 became private tutor in Falmouth. He devoted himself to the study of the Scriptures in the originals and the old versions, especially the Syriac, and edited " The Englishman's Greek Concordance to the New Testament" (8vo, 1839); "The. English Hexapla," with a historical account of the English versions of the Scriptures (1841); " The Englishman's Hebrew and Chaldee Concordance to the Old Testament" (2 vols., 1843); and " Hebrew Student's Manual," comprising Hebrew reading lessons, and the book of Psalms with interlinear translations (1845); and he translated, with additions and corrections, Gesenius's " Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament" (4to, 1847). Dr. Tregelles visited the continent several times for the purpose of collating the principal uncial manuscripts of the Scriptures in the libraries. At Rome he was allowed to see the Vatican manuscript, but was not permitted to collate it.
His greatest work is "The Greek New Testament, edited from ancient Authorities, with the Various Readings of all the ancient Manuscripts, ancient Versions, and earlier Ecclesiastical Writers, together with the Latin Version of Jerome " (6 parts, 1857-'72). His other publications are: " The Book of Revelation, translated from the ancient Greek Text" (1848); "The Jansenists, their Rise, Persecution by the Jesuits, Existing Remnant," etc. (1851); "Defence of the Authenticity of the Book of Daniel" (1852); "Account of the Printed Text of the Greek Testament" (1854); Codex Zacynthius, a Greek palimpsest, containing portions of St. Luke's Gospel (1861); and Canon Muratorianus, the earliest catalogue of the books of the New Testament (4to, 1868). He contributed to Smith's " Dictionary of the Bible." He received the degree of LL. D. from St. Andrews university in 1850.