Santa Cruz, a W. county of California, lying between the summit of the Santa Cruz mountains and the Pacific ocean, and bounded S. by the Pajaro river; area, 432 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,743, of whom 156 were Chinese. There is considerable fertile land, but the greater portion consists of mountain ranges densely timbered with redwood, oak, and pine, and adapted to grazing. There is abundant water power. Copper, coal, gold, and sand for glass making are found. The chief productions in 1870 were 115,687 bushels of wheat, 22,795 of Indian corn, 56,690 of oats, 72,155 of barley, 34,253 of potatoes, 14,550 gallons of wine, 120,955 lbs. of butter, 120,225 of cheese, and 8,664 tons of hay. There were 1,729 horses, 2,168 milch cows, 2,745 other cattle, 819 sheep, and 3,408 swine; 1 manufactory of gunpowder, 4 of lime, 2 of cooperage, 1 of engines and boilers, 5 of saddlery and harness, 3 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 5 tanneries, 4 currying establishments, 1 flour mill, 2 planing mills, and 22 saw mills.
Capital, Santa Cruz.
Santa Cruz, a fortified town, capital of the Canary islands, on the N. E. coast of the island of Teneriffe; pop. about 11,000. The harbor is good, and has a fine long mole. In 1871, 150 vessels entered, with an aggregate of 94,067 tons. The exports include cochineal, wine, almonds, raw silk, barilla, and archil.