Tenedos (in earliest antiquity Calydna, Leu-cophrys, Phoenice, and Lyrnessus), a small island, about 10 m. in circumference, in the Grecian archipelago, now belonging to Turkey, 13 m. from the mouth of the Hellespont, and 4 m. W. of the coast of the Troad; pop. about 7,000, two thirds Greeks. The interior is fertile and well cultivated, producing corn, cotton, fruits, and excellent wine. The small town of Tenedos, on the E. coast, has a good port and is defended by two forts; the Greek quarter was almost entirely destroyed by fire in July, 1874. - In the legend of the Trojan war the island is mentioned as the place to which the Greeks withdrew their fleet, in order to make the Trojans think that they had departed, after leaving the wooden horse before Troy; and it was employed in the Persian war by Xerxes as a naval station. Subsequently, on several occasions, as in the Pelo-ponnesian, Macedonian, and Mithridatic wars, it figured conspicuously as a stronghold; and in the middle ages the Turks and Venetians long contested its possession.