Vanderburgh, a S. W. county of Indiana, bounded S. by the Ohio river; area, 216 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 33,145. The surface is generally undulating and the soil very fertile. Bituminous coal is found in abundance. The county is traversed by the Wabash and Erie canal, and by railroads intersecting at Evansville. The chief productions in 1870 were 180,645 bushels of wheat, 553,925 of Indian corn, 56,361 of oats, 13,318 of barley, 54,842 of potatoes, 115,502 lbs. of butter, 167,150 of tobacco, and 9,852 tons of hay. There were 2,856 horses, 1,185 mules and asses, 3,254 milch cows, 2,368 other cattle, 3,157 sheep, and 12,223 swine. The number of manufacturing establishments was 281; capital invested, $3,308,600; value of products, $5,341,517. The chief manufactories were 5 of agricultural implements, 17 of clothing, 2 of cotton goods, 8 of furniture, 10 of iron, 10 of machinery, 19 of tobacco, 3 flour mills, 5 tanneries, 5 currying establishments, 4 planing mills, 8 saw mills, 8 breweries, and 1 woollen mill.

Capital, Evansville.