Wesel, a town of Rhenish Prussia, on the right bank of the Rhine, near the confluence of the Lippe, in the circle and 32 m. N. by W. of the city of Dilsseldorf; pop. in 1871,18,519, half Protestant and half Catholic. It is fortified, and the bridge of boats across the Rhine is protected by a citadel with five bastions. The fine Berlin gate has statues of Minerva and Hercules. The Gothic St. Willibrod is the most notable of the five churches. The gymnasium is of great antiquity and celebrity. It has sugar refineries and manufactories of stearine, paper, tobacco, and nails, and much shipping and inland trade. Under the original name of Lippemund it was of strategic importance in the wars of Charlemagne against the Saxons. Napoleon in 1805 incorporated it with the grand duchy of Berg, and in 1806 with the French empire; and on Sept. 16, 1809, he had 11 prisoners of war, officers of Schill's partisan corps, shot here. In 1813 it was blockaded by the Prussians, to whom it was in 1814 ceded by the treaty of Paris.