A Central County Of Georgia, bounded N. E. by the Oconee river and drained by its affluents; area, 430 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,383, of whom 4,699 were colored. The surface is undulating and diversified by extensive pine forests, and the soil is moderately fertile. Sulphur and chalybeate springs are found. It is intersected by the Georgia Central and the Milledgeville and Eatonton railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 2,668 bushels of wheat, 182,164 of Indian corn, 22,553 of peas and beans, 32,919 of sweet potatoes, 26,286 lbs. of butter, 3,747 of wool, and 5,115 bales of cotton. There were 953 horses, 1,948 milch cows, 5,060 other cattle, 1,558 sheep, and 11,566 swine. Capital, Irwinton.
The S. W. County Of Mississippi, bordering on Louisiana, bounded W. by the Mississippi river, and N. by the Homochitto; area, 580 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,705, of whom 10,007 were colored. It has an uneven surface, and the soil is extremely fertile. It is intersected by the West Feliciana railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 158,859 bushels of Indian corn, 25,487 of sweet potatoes, 19,577 lbs. of butter, and 12,430 bales of cotton. There were 2,220 horses, 1,537 mules and asses, 7,844 cattle, 2,078 sheep, and 6,946 swine. Capital, Woodville.