Zctphen, a city of the Netherlands, in the province of Gelderland, situated on the Yssel at the mouth of the Berckel, 17 m. N. E. of Arnhem; pop. in 1869, 14,554. It is very strongly fortified; the ancient ramparts are planted with trees, and form a fine promenade. The principal edifices of note are the fine Gothic church of St. Walburga, erected in 1105, which contains a library of very old books; the city hall, with five facades; the state hall; and the public weighing house, the tower of which has a chime of 36 bells. There is trade in timber and colonial products. - The town is of great antiquity. It belonged to the bishops of Utrecht in the 13th century, and in the 14th joined the Hanseatic league. It was subjected to terrible sufferings by the Spaniards in 1573, and was taken by Maurice of Nassau in 1591, and by the French in 1672. It was on the battle field of Warnsfeld, very near this city, that Sir Philip Sidney was mortally wounded in 1586, while the enemy was defeated under the walls of Zutphen.