A province of central Sicily, bounded N. by Palermo, E. and S. E. by Catania, S. by the Mediterranean, and S. W. and W. by Girgenti; area, 1,455 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 230,066. It comprises the three districts of Caltanisetta, Piazza Armerina, and Terra Nova di Sicilia. Mountains extend along the N. border. The principal river is the Salso. The soil is very fertile, and produces good wine, olive oil, almonds, cotton, and hemp. Iron, sulphur, excellent marble, several kinds of agate, and alabaster are found. The inhabitants are chiefly occupied with agriculture and cattle raising. Among the industrial establishments are several iron founderies and manufactories of chemicals. II. The capital of the province, situated on a high plain near the right bank of the Salso, on the railroad from Girgenti to Catania, 65 m. S. E. of Palermo; pop. about 20,000. It is well built, with broad, straight streets, a handsome square, and several fine edifices. In its vicinity are a small volcano which emits water and sand accompanied by jets of hydrogen gas, and extensive sulphur works.