Cecil, a N. E. county of Maryland, bordering on Pennsylvania and Delaware, and situated at the head of Chesapeake bay, which forms its S. W. boundary; area, about 300 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 25,874, of whom 4,014 were colored. Several bays indent it. Its W. border is washed by the Susquehanna, and Sassafras river bounds it on the south. The surface is slightly uneven and the soil fertile. At Port Deposit are immense granite quarries, and the county also contains gneiss, slate, iron, chrome, and sulphate of magnesia, It is intersected by the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore, the Port Deposit branch, and the Philadelphia and Baltimore Central railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 305,818 bushels of wheat, 683,683 of Indian corn. 305,307 of oats, 110,839 of potatoes, 19,986 tons of hay, 445,-720 lbs. of butter, and 14,102 of wool. There were 4,824 horses, 5,797 milch cows, 7.471 other cattle, 4,579 sheep, and 9,710 swine. There were 21 flour mills, 1 manufactory of cotton goods, 7 of iron, 4 of paper, 2 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 5 saw mills, and 4 manufactories of woollen goods.