Chalon-Sur-Saone (anc. Cabillonum or Ca-ballinum), a walled city of France, in the department of Saone-et-Loire, 33 m. N. of Macon, and 185 m. S. E. of Paris; pop. in 1866, 19,982. It is situated on the Saone, in one of the most fertile regions of Burgundy. It has four suburbs, fine promenades, a splendid quay, and a stone bridge of five arches over the Saone. The principal church is that of St. Vincent, formerly a cathedral. The canal du Centre here unites the Saone with the Loire; and this, with the railway from Paris to Lyons, gives to the town an important transit business. There is also an active trade in wine, vinegar, mustard, grain, and various local manufactures. - It was an important city of ancient Gaul and of the Roman empire, and figures in Caesar's Commentaries. Converted to Christianity by St. Marcel and St. Valerius in the 2d century, Chalon early became the seat of a bishop, who afterward assumed the title of count of Chalon and baron of Salle. The see was united with that of Autun in 1801. Many important ecclesiastical councils were held here from the 5th to the 12th century. Attila destroyed the town.
Having passed from the Burgundians to the Franks, it became in the 6th century the capital of the first Frankish kings of Burgundy. In the 10th century it formed with its territory the Burgundian county of Chalonnais, which reverted to the duchy of Burgundy in 1237, and under Louis XI. was united with the latter to the French crown. Abelard died in the abbey of St. Marcel near this town, the only vestige remaining of which is the church.