Chateau-Thierry, a town of France, in the department of Aisne, on the right bank of the Marne, and on the Paris and Strasburg railway, 45 m. N. E. of Paris; pop. in 1866, 6,519. It is a pretty town, laid out in the form of an amphitheatre, with handsome promenades, and united by a fine stone bridge with a suburb on the other side of the Marne. The church of St. Crispin resembles a fortress, and possesses great archaeological interest. La Fontaine was born here, and a marble statue has been erected to his memory. There are two medicinal springs in this town, which attract many visitors in summer. The manufactures are unimportant, but the trade in agricultural products, cattle, and wool is exceedingly active, the surrounding region being the most fertile of the ancient province of Champagne. - The settlement and name of the town originated from a feudal castle built in 720 by Charles Martel as a residence for the youthful Thierry IV., of which vestiges are still visible. It was captured by the English in 1421, and by Charles V. in 1544; and Henri de Guise received a wound here in 1574 whence he was called le halafre.
A duchy since the 16th century, the town continued to be the capital of Brie-Champenoise till the revolution of 1789. A memorable battle was fought here Feb. 12, 1814, in which Napoleon defeated the Russians and Prussians under Sacken.