Chioggia, Or Chiozza (Anc. Fossa Clodia, and Olugia), a seaport of Italy, in the province of Udine, on the Adriatic, 15 m. S. of Venice; pop. in 1872, 26,336. It is situated on a small island at the S. end of the lagoon of Venice, a little N. of the embouchure of the Brenta, is built partly on piles, and communicates with the mainland by a low stone bridge of 43 arches. The harbor, which has 17 feet of water, is considered one of the best fortified in the vicinity of Venice, being defended by a number of batteries and the forts of Caraman and San Felice. It is usually crowded with fishing and coasting vessels, in which a large part of the population find employment. It is a bishop's see, and contains several churches, a gymnasium, a high seminary, orphan asylum, hospital, workhouse, theatre, custom house, ship yards, salt works, and manufactories of lace, cordage, and other articles. It is the centre of an active trade in Italian and German products, which is facilitated by canals communicating with the Brenta, Adige, and Po. Titian is said to have found models for some of his finest works in the women of Chioggia, who have long been noted for beauty; and Leopold Robert and other modern painters have often resorted for inspiration to the same source.

In 1379 the Genoese took possession of the island, but after a struggle of two years, to which the name of the war of Chioggia has been given, were forced to yield it to Venice.