Christianstad, a fortified town of Sweden, capital of the lan or district of the same name, in the province of Gothland, 262 m. S. S. W. of Stockholm; pop. in 1868, 7,710. It is built upon a little promontory in a lake formed by the Helge-a, 10 m. from Alms, its port on the Baltic. The town has a good aspect. The crown house, on the N. side of the great square, for government and garrison purposes, a single large church of the year 1628, a lazaretto, a theatre, and school houses are among the principal buildings. The harbor of Alms is open, but tolerably safe. The trade is chiefly with Lubeck, Russia, Denmark, and England. Much domestic brandy is sent to Stockholm. Christianstad was founded by Christian IV. of Denmark in 1614, the southern part of Sweden being at that time a Danish possession. The place suffered much during the frequent wars between Sweden and Denmark. In 1678 it was nearly destroyed by Charles XI. of Sweden, during his contest with Christian V. of Denmark. It was rebuilt in 1710 and 1748.