Clarion, a N. W. county of Pennsylvania; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 26,537. It is bounded S. W. by Alleghany river, which is here navigable by steamboats, and intersected by the Clarion, from which it is named. The soil is good, and the surface either undulating or hillv. Bituminous coal, iron, and limestone are found in the county, and timber of various kinds is abundant. The Alleghany Valley railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 152,172 bushels of wheat, 99,330 of rye, 251,183 of Indian corn, 607,290 of oats, 46,139 of buckwheat, 57,678 of potatoes, 28,-104 tons of hay, 565,070 lbs. of butter, and 88,787 of wool. There were 6,718 horses, 7,877 milch cows, 10,858 other cattle, 29,844 sheep, and 12,908 swine. There were 27 saw mills, 16 boat-building establishments, 9 manufactories of pig iron and castings, 5 of agricultural implements, 13 of carriages, 8 of saddlery and harness, 2 of woollen goods, 3 distilleries, 15 tanneries, and 13 currying establishments. Capital, Clarion.