Claremont, a town of Sullivan co., N. II., on the Connecticut river, 48 m. W. by N. of Concord; pop. in 1870, 4,053. The Vermont Central and the Concord, Claremont, and Contoocook railroads pass through it. There is good water power at this point, and the town contains three cotton and two woollen mills, a national bank with a capital of $150,000, several churches, and three weekly newspapers. The Stevens high school in 1871 had 4 teachers and 85 students. Paran Stevens of New York bequeathed $50,000 to this institution in 1872.
Claremont, a palace near Windsor, England, assigned in 1816 to the princess Charlotte, on her marriage with Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg, who after her death in 1817 remained in possession of it, residing there till his accession to the Belgian throne, July 21, 1831. In February, 1848, he placed it at the disposal of Louis Philippe, who resided there with his family till his death in 1850, and his widow, Marie Amelie, died there in 1866. After the death of Leopold in 1865, the palace became again the property of the English crown.