Columbiana, an E. county of Ohio, separated from Pennsylvania on the S. E. by the Ohio river, and drained by several streams; area, 490 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 38,299. The southern portion is hilty, the northern level or gently undulating. The soil is fertile. Coal and iron are found. It is traversed by the Sandy and Beaver canal, and by the Cleveland and Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago, and the New Lisbon railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 270,190 bushels of wheat, 25,175 of rye, 566,242 of Indian corn, 653,001 of oats, 163,484 of potatoes, 45,301 tons of hay, 848,882 lbs. of butter, 573,561 of wool, and 602,978 of flax. There were 8,827 horses, 9,519 milch cows, 9,137 other cattle, 131,527 sheep, and 15,996 swine; 8 flour mills, 18 manufactories of stone and earthen ware, 6 of machinery, 1 of pig iron, 10 of iron castings, 4 of agricultural implements, 8 of bricks, 20 of carriages and wagons, 2 of hardware, 2 of lightning rods, 15 of saddlery and harness, 12 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 3 of woollen goods, 4 planing mills, 9 saw mills, 17 tanneries, and 16 currying establishments.
Capital, New Lisbon.