Columbus, a S. E. county of North Carolina, bordering on South Carolina, bounded S. E. by the Waccamaw river, and N. W. by Lumber river; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,474, of whom 2,948 were colored. The surface is level and partly marshy. The Wilmington, Columbia, and Augusta railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 65,972 bushels of Indian corn, 79,307 of sweet potatoes, 119 bales of cotton, and 216,964 lbs. of rice. There were 368 horses, 1,960 milch cows, 3,550 other cattle, 5,383 sheep, and 12,-759 swine; 3 saw mills and 1 saddle and harness factory. Capital, Whiteville.
Columbus, a city of Georgia, capital of Muscogee co., on the left bank of the Chattahoochee river, 300 m. above Appalachicola bay, and 95 m. S. S. W. of Atlanta; pop. in 1870, 7,401, of whom 3,204 were colored. It enjoys superior advantages for trade and great facilities for the erection of mills and factories. The Chattahoochee is navigable from Columbus to the gulf of Mexico during eight months of the year; and from the end of October to the 1st of July its waters are traversed by numerous steamboats laden with cotton. Opposite Columbus the river rushes over huge, rugged rocks, forming rapids, valuable for the excellent water power which they furnish, and in the improvement of which large sums of money have been expended. A dam 500 ft. long has been constructed at this point. A handsome bridge connects the city with Girard village, Alabama. Columbus is regularly laid out, with streets from 99 to 165 ft. wide. The principal public buildings are the court house, Presbyterian church, temperance hall, bank of Columbus, and two hotels. Three flour and grist mills are in operation, consuming annually 100,000 bushels of wheat and 60,000 of Indian corn. There are two banks, with $150,000 capital, and eight public schools, with 14 teachers and 545 pupils.
Columbus, a city and the capital of Lowndes co., Mississippi, on the left bank of the Tom-bigbee river, which is navigable at all seasons, 25 m. S. of Aberdeen, and 132 m. N. E. of Jackson; pop. in 1870, 4,812, of whom 2,738 were colored. It has regular steamboat communication with Mobile. A branch railroad extends to Artesia on the Mobile and Ohio railroad. It is situated in a fertile region, and is the shipping place of large quantities of cotton. One tri-weekly and four weekly newspapers and a monthly are published. It contains a handsome court house, a United States land office, several churches, and a bank with $300,000 capital.
Columbus, a town of Hickman co., Kentucky, on the Mississippi, 18 m. below Cairo, 111.; pop. in 1870, 1,574, of whom 761 were colored. It is situated on the S. slope of a high bluff commanding the river for about 5 m. There is some trade in lumber. A weekly newspaper is published. The Mobile and Ohio railroad connects here by ferry with the St. Louis and Iron Mountain line. Columbus was strongly fortified by the confederates, who occupied it Sept. 4,1861. They regarded it as the northern key to the mouth of the Mississippi, and had in the town and its vicinity about 30,000 men. After the capture of Forts Henry and Donelson by the federal troops in February, 1862, Columbus was abandoned by the confederate forces, March 2.