A county of Hungary, on both sides of the Danube, and watered by its affluents the Waag and the Neutra; area, 1,145 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 143,090, almost all Magyars. It is level and exceedingly fertile in its northern portions; the southern are hilly or mountainous. The district around Neszmely, near the S. bank of the Danube, produces the excellent wine of that name. Among the principal towns is Dotis (Hun. Tata). II. A fortified town, capital of the county, situated on the eastern extremity of the island of Schtitt, at the junction of the Danube and the Waag, 85 m. S. E. of Vienna; pop. in 1870, 12,256. Among the principal buildings are four Roman Catholic and two Protestant churches, a Greek church, and a synagogue. The town contains several learned and charitable institutions, a cannon foundery, and a manufactory of firearms. The fortress, defended by extensive works on both sides of the Danube, was founded by Matthias Corvinus in the second half of the 15th century, and has been rendered one of the strongest places in the world by the additional fortifications erected since 1805. Its impregnability was tested in the revolution of 1848-'9, when it withstood a long siege and bombardment under Mack, Guyon, and Klapka, and finally came into the possession of the Austrians by a voluntary capitulation (Sept. 27, 1849). The treasury of the national bank was deposited here when the Prussians threatened Vienna in 1866.