Cruger. I. John, colonial mayor of New York, born in New York in 1710, died in 1792. In his youth he was engaged in the slave trade on the African coast, and afterward he settled in New York as a merchant. In 1759 he was elected mayor, and served five years. In 1769 he was elected to the assembly as an Episcopalian and conservative. He was a member of the first New York provincial congress, and wrote the declaration of rights issued by that body in 1765. In 1774 he was one of a committee appointed by the assembly to correspond with Edmund Burke, their agent in England, and with the other colonial assemblies, about the stamp act. This committee rejected the Boston plan of non-importation, and proposed a congress of deputies from the colonies. In 1775 ho was speaker of the assembly, and during the recess he with 13 other members of the ministerial party addressed a letter to Gen. Gage on the alarming state of public affairs.

II. John Harris

II. John Harris, nephew of the preceding, born in New York in 1738, died in London, June 3, 1807. He succeeded his father as a member of the council of New York, and at the beginning of the revolution was also chamberlain of the city. He married a daughter of the British colonel Delancey, and entering the army commanded the first battalion of his corps, becoming lieutenant colonel. He was captured while with a party of loyalists celebrating the king's birthday, June 4, 1780, at Belfast, a plantation on the Midway in Georgia, but was afterward exchanged. He conducted with great ability the defence of Fort Ninety-Six in South Carolina in May, 1781, when besieged by Gen. Greene. His corps formed the British centre at the battle of Eutaw Springs, Sept. 8,1781. Hisproperty was confiscated, and on the close of the war he went to England.

III. Henry

III. Henry, brother of the preceding, born in New York in 1739, died there, April 24, 1827. He early went with his father to England, and engaged with him in business in Bristol, succeeding to the control of the business on his father's death in 1780. In 1774 he was elected to parliament from that city, Edmund Burke being his colleague, with whom he agreed in favoring a conciliatory policy toward the Americans. He succeeded his father as mayor of Bristol in 1781. Upon the return of peace he came to New York, where he was a merchant, and was elected to the state senate while yet a member of the British parliament.