Dansville, a village in the town of North Dansville, Livingston co., New York, on a branch of the Erie railway, and at the terminus of the Genesee Valley canal, 38 m. S. of Rochester, and 62 m. E. S. E. of Buffalo; pop. in 1870, 3,387; of the town, 4,015. It is situated at the head of the Canaseraga valley, a branch of the Genesee valley, in the midst of a very fertile district, and is a place of considerable business, containing 63 stores, 4 carriage shops, 3 tanneries, 4 flour mills, 2 iron foun-deries and machine shops, 1 planing mill, 1 shingle factory, 1 pail and tub factory, 3 paper mills, 2 picture galleries, 8 nurseries occupying an aggregate area of 500 acres, 2 banks, and 4 insurance offices. There is also an important trade in grain and lumber. Dansville is especially noted as the seat of a health institute, known as "Our Home on the Hill-side." Its site is about 150 ft. up the slope of a steep hill, 800 ft. high, which forms the E. wall of the Canaseraga valley. The institute is supplied with water of great purity from a spring 250 ft. above. The home was established about 15 years ago, and now (1873) contains about 350 patients. The Dansville seminary (Methodist) was founded in 1858, and in 1871 had 116 pupils.

There are also about a dozen select and district schools, two weekly newspapers, and eight churches.