Edgartown, the shire town and a port of entry of Dukes co., Mass., comprising Chappa-quiddick island and the E. portion of Martha's Vineyard, about 75 m. S. S. E. of Boston; pop. in 1870, 1,516. The harbor is well sheltered, and has a depth of four or five fathoms. At the entrance is a lighthouse showing a fixed light 50 ft. above the sea, erected on a pier 1,000 ft. long. Steamers run daily to Wood's Hole, the terminus of the Falmouth branch of the Cape Cod railroad, and to New Bedford. In Edgartown is Wesleyan grove, the seat of a celebrated Methodist camp meeting, at which yearly in August about 20,000 visitors assemble. Near the camp ground, on bluffs 30 ft. high, overlooking the sea, the village of Oak Bluffs has recently been laid out, and has become a summer resort; it contains several hotels and numerous cottages of summer residents. The inhabitants are mostly . engaged in navigation and fishing. For the year ending June 30, 1872, 25 vessels entered at the port and 16 cleared; 4 were engaged in the whale fishery, and there were 20 registered, enrolled, and licensed.

The town contains the county buildings, a town hall, a national bank, 8 schools (including a high school), a weekly newspaper, and Baptist, Congregational, and Methodist churches.