Haverfordwest , (Welsh, Hwlfford), a parliamentary borough, town, and county in itself, of S. Wales, locally in Pembrokeshire, of which it is the capital, on the Cleddy, about 200 m. W. by N. of London; pop. in 1871, 11,390. The parish church of St. Thomas dates from 1225. Among the schools is one founded in 1684 for clothing and educating 24 boys and 12 girls. The river is navigable to this point at spring tides for vessels of 100 tons, but the port is dependent on that of Milford. It was once strongly fortified, but all traces of the walls and towers have disappeared. On a rock overhanging the river was a strong castle built in the 12th century by Gilbert de Clare, first earl of Pembroke. In the insurrection of Owen Glendower it was successfully defended against the French troops in the Welsh service. In the civil wars of the 17th century it was held by the royalists. The only remaining vestige of the castle is the keep, which has received large additions and been converted into the county jail.