Hawick , a town and borough of Roxburghshire, Scotland, on the Teviot, 40 m. S. E. of Edinburgh, with which it is connected by railway; pop. in 1871, 11,356. It is divided into nearly equal parts by the river Slitrig. Several of the newer streets contain handsome houses; but old structures may be seen in various parts, having more the look of fortresses than dwellings. There is an elegant new parish church, and an old church, which was the scene of the capture of Sir Alexander Ramsay by Sir William Douglas in the reign of Robert Bruce. There are several other churches, public libraries, and reading rooms, an academy, benevolent institutions, and an exchange, built in 18G4. At the upper end of the town is the Moat, an artificial mound, 312 ft. in circumference at the base and 117 at the top, and 30 ft. high, supposed to have been used at first for a burial place, and afterward as a court of justice. The Tower inn was formerly a fortress of the barons of Drumlanrig. Hose, blankets, and flannels are largely manufactured, and gloves, leather, and candles are also made.
Branksome tower, famous from Scott's "Lay of the Last Minstrel," is 3 m. from the town.