John Graham Lough, an English sculptor, born at Greenhead, Northumberland, in 1804. He is the son of a small farmer, and in childhood taught himself drawing and modelling. He went to London, and in 1826 exhibited at the royal academy a bass-relief of " The Death of Turnus," and in 1827 the model of a colossal statue of Milo, which was afterward executed in marble for the duke of Wellington.
From 1834 to 1838 he studied in Italy, executing many commissions for English patrons. Returning to England, he produced numerous fanciful works, and subsequently gave special attention to monuments, portrait busts, and statues. Among his works in these departments are statues of Queen Victoria in the royal exchange (1845) and Prince Albert in Lloyd's (1847). At the world's fair of 1851 he exhibited, among other works, a colossal group, "Satan subdued by the Archangel Michael." Among his monuments are one to Southey at Keswick, one to George Stephenson at New-castle-on-Tyne (1862), and one to the first Lord and Lady Studley, for which a mortuary chapel was erected in 1874 at Toddington. He has executed life-size statues of many of Shakespeare's principal characters.