John Lindley, an English botanist, born at Catton, near Norwich, Feb. 5, 1799, died near London, Nov. 1, 1865. His father cultivated a large nursery garden in Catton. At an early age the son published a variety of papers and monographs on botanical subjects. About 1821 he settled in London, where for many years he was employed in writing the descriptive portion of Loudon's " Encyclopaedia of Plants," published in 1829. "While engaged upon this work, the arrangement of which was according to the artificial system of Linnseus, he became a decided convert to the natural arrangement, and in 1830 published his "Introduction to the Natural System of Botany." This was followed in 1832 by his " Introduction to Systematic and Physiological Botany," and " Synopsis of the British Flora," and in 1833 by his Nexus Plantarum, in which he undertook to reduce the natural orders into groups subordinate to the higher divisions. In 1846 appeared his "Vegetable Kingdom," an expansion of a work previously published under the title of " A Natural System of Botany," which in its turn was remodelled from the " Introduction to the Natural System of Botany." The " Vegetable Kingdom " was at the time the most comprehensive work on the structure and uses of known plants yet published.
Previous to the appearance of this work he published Flora Medico, (8vo, 1838), in which full descriptions of the plants used in medical practice are given; and in conjunction with Mr. Hutton " The Fossil Flora of Great Britain," which was commenced in 1831, and published in parts. He was also the author of a number of popular treatises on botany, including " Ladies' Botany," in a series of letters, " School Botany and Vegetable Physiology," etc. The practical aim of his studies is evinced in his " Theory and Practice of Horticulture," " Orchard and Kitchen Garden," and contributions to the " Gardener's Chronicle," a weekly journal, of which he was the editor from 1841 till the time of his death. The last work upon which he was engaged is the " Treasury of Botany," a valuable popular botanical dictionary, which was completed by Dr. M. T. Masters and his associates. He filled the chair of botany in University college, London, and lectured on his favorite science at the royal institution, and at the botanic gardens, Chelsea. He had entire charge of the colonial department of the international exhibition of 1862, and his great exertions prostrated him both mentally and physically.
He was a fellow of the royal society.