Kenosha, a S. E. county of Wisconsin, bounded E. by Lake Michigan and S. by Illinois, and drained by Des Plaines and Fox rivers; area, 306 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,147. It has a level and thinly timbered surface, with a fertile soil resting on beds of limestone. The Kenosha and Milwaukee divisions of the Chicago and Northwestern railroad pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 214,-567 bushels of wheat, 269,036 of Indian corn, 359,343 of oats, 45,473 of barley, 134,463 of potatoes, 13,377 of flax seed, 395,670 lbs. of flax, 242,611 of wool, 480,599 of butter, 308,-600 of cheese, and 44,404 tons of hay. There were 4,707 horses, 7,169 milch cows, 7,150 other cattle, 49,277 sheep, and 6,290 swine; 8 manufactories of carriages, 4 of cheese, 2 of iron castings, 1 of machinery, 2 of malt, 3 of saddlery and harness, 2 breweries, 3 tanneries, 3 currying establishments, and 2 flour mills. Capital, Kenosha.
Kenosha, a city and the county seat of Kenosha co., Wisconsin, on Lake Michigan and on the Kenosha and Milwaukee divisions of the Chicago and Northwestern railroad, 30 m. S. of Milwaukee; pop. in 1870, 4,309. It is built on a bluff, and has a good harbor with piers extending into the lake. It has an extensive trade in the products of the surrounding country, which is fertile and well cultivated. The manufactures are important. The principal establishments are two founderies, three tanneries, two breweries, three malt houses, marble works, a flax mill, a planing mill, a machine shop, three manufactories of hardware, one of telegraph insulators, one of cheese boxes, two of ploughs, eight of boots and shoes, one of fanning mills, three of cabinet ware, three of sash and doors, and one of pumps. There are a national bank, three public schools including a high school, a female seminary, two weekly newspapers, and 10 churches. Kenosha was settled in 1836.