I. A S. W. County Of Texas, intersected by the Rio Frio and the Rio Nueces; area, 1,400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 69. Water is scarce, and the county is not adapted to agriculture, but grazing may be successfully pursued. Fort Ewell, a government post, is within its limits. In 1870 the county produced 26,000 lbs. of wool, and there were 140 horses, 5,000 sheep, and 11,100 cattle.
II. A N. County Of Illinois, traversed by the Illinois river and its affluents, the Fox and Vermilion; area, 1,050 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 60,792. It has an undulating surface, occupied chiefly by prairies, but in some places well timbered, and abounds in coal mines. It is traversed by the Illinois Central and several other railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 273,374 bushels of wheat, 48,308 of rye, 3,077,028 of Indian corn, 1,509,642 of oats, 86,635 of barley, 325,953 of potatoes, 66,803 lbs. of wool, 1,240,386 of butter, 151,055 of cheese, and 97,-273 tons of hay. There were 24,673 horses, 17,605 milch cows, 29,338 other cattle, 17,200 sheep, and 36,717 swine; 8 manufactories of agricultural implements, 7 of brick, 27 of carriages, 1 of dressed flax, 1 of window glass, 5 of iron castings, 3 of machinery, 1 of organs, 1 of linseed oil, 14 of saddlery and harness, 4 of sash, doors, and blinds, 1 of woollen goods, 12 flour mills, 1 tannery, 1 currying establishment, and 6 breweries. Capital, Ottawa.
La Salle, a city of La Salle co., Illinois, situated at the head of navigation on the Illinois river, at the terminus of the Illinois and Michigan canal, and at the intersection of the Illinois Central and the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific railroads, 80 m. W. S. W. of Chicago; pop. in 1860, 4,016; in 1870, 5,200. It is built on a bluff rising from the river, and enjoys a pleasant and healthful situation and great facilities for trade. The river, here 900 ft. wide, is crossed by a railroad bridge of 20 arches. The surrounding country is fertile, and abounds in bituminous coal, of which large quantities are shipped from this point. There are extensive zinc works, breweries, flouring mills, founderies and machine shops, glass works, etc. It has graded public schools, including two high schools, two weekly newspapers, and five churches.