Lycoming, a N. county of Pennsylvania, drained by the west branch of the Susquehanna and its tributaries; area, 1,080 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 47,626. The surface is mountainous, a range of the Alleghanies extending through the middle from W. to E. with spurs stretching N. The valleys are very fertile, and it has extensive mines of bituminous coal. The West Branch canal and the Philadelphia and Erie and the Northern Central railroads pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 272,-668 bushels of wheat, 39,820 of rye, 535,158 of Indian corn, 470,619 of oats, 66,780 of buckwheat, 193,425 of potatoes, 25,804 lbs. of wool, 429,500 of butter, and 28,738 tons of hay. There were 5,591 horses, 7,597 milch cows, 7,772 other cattle, 10,462 sheep, and 12,172 swine. There were 608 manufacturing establishments, having $7,875,938 capital, and an annual product of $9,081,406; the most important were 3 of agricultural implements, 4 of brick, 23 of carriages, 11 of clothing, 1 of rectified coal oil, 10 of furniture, 1 of extract of hemlock bark, 6 of iron, 12 of machinery, 7 of brick and stone masonry, 17 of saddlery and harness, 5 of sash, doors, and blinds, 6 of woollen goods, 20 tanneries, 13 currying establishments, 12 flour mills, 8 planing mills, and 121 saw mills.

Capital, "Williamsport.