Michel Eugene Chevreul, a French chemist, born at Angers, Aug. 31, 1786. Having completed his studies in the central school of Angers, he studied chemistry under Vauquelin in Paris, and afterward took charge of the laboratory of that chemist. In 1810 he became pre-parator of the chemical course in the museum of natural history, and in 1813 professor in the lycee Charlemagne. In 1824 he was appointed director of the dye works and professor of special chemistry at the Gobelins, where he distinguished himself by important researches on colors. In 1826 he became a member of the academy of sciences, and in 1830 succeeded Vauquelin as professor of applied chemistry in the museum of natural history. He was afterward made fellow of the royal society of London and president of the society of agriculture. In 1851 he was awarded a premium at the London industrial exhibition for the benefit his labors had conferred on industry, and in 1852 he received from the society for the encouragement of useful inventions the prize of 12,000 francs for his work Reclierches cliimiques sur les corps gras d'origine animale, which had been published in 1823, and which is yet of high value, its suggestions having given rise to the manufacture of stearine candles, and to the use of oleic acid in the preparation of wool for cloth.
Another work of his, on sanitary influences, introduced the practice of charring the interior of water casks. He was a member of the international jury at the universal exhibition of 1851 in London, and of 1855 in Paris. He was appointed director of the museum of natural history for five years in 1864, and again in 1869. Besides many articles on scientific subjects in the Dictionnaire des sciences natu-relles, the Journal des Savants, and other periodicals, he has published numerous works, among which are: Lecons de chimie appliquee a la teinture (1828-'31); De la lot du contraste simultane des couleurs et de l'assortement des ohjets colories (1839); Des couleurs et de leurs applications aux arts industriels a l'aide des cercles chromatiques (1864); Considerations sur l'histoire de la partie de la medecine qui eoncerne la prescription des remedes (1865); and Histoire des connaissances chimiques, the first volume of which appeared in 1866. Many of these works have been translated into various European languages.
He has also contributed many important papers to scientific societies, and in 1873, at the age of 86, was still lecturing on chemistry.