Montmedy (anc. Mons Medius; mediaeval, Mons Maledictus), a town and fortress of the fourth class of France, in the department of Meuse, on the river Chiers and on the railway between Sedan and Thionville, 150 m. E. N. E. of Paris, 26 m. N. of Verdun, and 4 m. W. of the frontier of Luxemburg; pop. in 1866, 2,-135. It is divided into an upper and a lower town. The former, constituting the citadel of the place, is situated upon the summit and a steep rock, and is fortified with an enceinte having eight bastions, with outer works and a moat, protected by six demilunes. The lower town, called Bas-Medy, is surrounded by a strong wall with eight bastions and three gates. The fortifications were in part planned by Vau-ban, but have been greatly improved. The town is of little importance except in a military point of view. Montmedy, after having been several times attacked by detachments of the German army during September, 1870, and a sortie having been made from the lower town on Oct. 11, it was finally invested by a Prussian force, Nov. 16-28, and a bombardment was begun on Dec. 12. On Dec. 14, its commander, Maj. Tessier, surrendered the- fortress, with 3,000 men and 65 cannon, to Gen. von Ka-meke, the Prussian commander.