Muskegon, a S. W. county of the S. peninsula of Michigan, bordering on Lake Michigan, and watered by White and Muskegon rivers and other streams; area, about 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,89-4. The surface consists of undulating prairie land; the soil is fertile. It is traversed by the Chicago and Michigan Lake Shore railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 28,920 bushels of wheat, 28,629 of Indian corn, 24,028 of oats, 72,335 of potatoes, 55,-872 lbs. of wool, and 5,658 tons of hay. There were 800 horses, 975 milch cows, 1,037 other cattle, 2,530 sheep, and 1,545 swine; 3 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 3 of iron castings, 4 of machinery, 3 of sash, doors, and blinds, 5 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 1 tannery, 1 currying establishment, and 62 saw mills. Capital, Muskegon.
Muskegon, a city and the county seat of Muskegon co., Michigan, on Muskegon river, where it expands into a lake of the same name, near its mouth in Lake Michigan, on the Chicago and Michigan Lake Shore railroad, and at the terminus of the Michigan Lake Shore, the Muskegon and Big Rapids, and the Grand River Valley railroads, 90 m. N w. of Lansing, and 175 m. AV. N. AV. of Detroit; pop. in 1870, 6,002; in 1874, 8,505. It is a stopping place for the East Shore steamboat line, and has a daily line of steamers to Chicago. The soil in the vicinity is well adapted to fruit growing, and considerable attention has lately been paid to the cultivation of peaches and grapes; but the chief business of the city is the manufacture and shipment of lumber. The logs are floated down the river to the lake, which is 5 m. long and 2 m. wide. The annual shipments amount to about 300,000,000 ft. The trade employs more than 100 vessels, and large quantities are also shipped by rail. The principal manufacturing establishments are 32 saw mills, two flouring mills, two large steam engine works and founderies, two saw factories, a boiler factory, and five planing mills and sash and blind factories. The city contains two national banks, a union school, five ward schools, three weekly newspapers, and ten churches.
Muskegon was first settled in 1836. It was laid out in 1853, incorporated as a village in 1861, and as a city in 1870.