Oswego, a N. W. county of New York, bounded N. W. by Lake Ontario, intersected by Oswego river, and drained by a number of streams falling into the lake; area, 1,038 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 77,941. It has a level or undulating surface, and the soil, though generally fertile, varies greatly in different parts. The Oswego and Syracuse, the Watertown and Rome, the New York and Oswego Midland, the Rome, Watertown, and Ogdensburg, and the Southern Central railroads traverse it.
55,752 of buckwheat, 513,203 of potatoes! 2,720,914 lbs. of butter, 1,089,228 of cheese 81,200 of wool, 285,169 of hops, 150,405 of flax, and 131,765 tons of hay. There were 12,057 horses, 35,820 milch cows, 16,888 other cattle, 20,154 sheep, and 12,415 swine; 8 manufactories of agricultural implements,' 3 of packing boxes, 38 of carriages and wagons, 39 of cheese, 21 of men's clothing, 68 of cooperage, 3 of hosiery, 10 of iron castings, 25 of tanned and 11 of curried leather, 2 of engines and boilers, 1 of starch, 3 of woollen goods, 33 flour mills, 78 saw mills, and 3 planing mills. Capitals, Oswego and Pulaski.