A N. Parish Of Louisiana, intersected by the Washita river; area, about 650 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,582, of whom 7,823 were colored. Pine, oak, and hickory are very abundant. The North Louisiana and Texas railroad runs to the county seat. The chief productions in 1870 were 211,505 bushels of Indian corn, 17,124 of sweet potatoes, 1,987 lbs. of wool, and 14,239 bales of cotton. There were 828 horses, 1,498 mules and asses, 1,606 milch cows, 3,805 other cattle, 1,952 sheep, and 7,127 swine. Capital, Monroe.
A S. W. County Of Arkansas, bounded N. partly by the Little Missouri river, and S. E. partly by the Washita, which also intersects it; area, 750 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,975, of whom 5,458 were colored. The surface is moderately hilly and the soil generally fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 279,589 bushels of Indian corn, 20,680 of sweet potatoes, 20,933 lbs. of butter, and 6,467 bales of cotton. There were 1,550 horses, 1,179 mules and asses, 3,574 milch cows, 6,554 other cattle, 5,382 sheep, and 24,600 swine. Capital, Camden.