Franklin. I. A borough and the capital of Venango co., Pennsylvania, on French creek or Venango river, just above its entrance into the Alleghany, 52 m. S. by E. of Erie, and 64 m. N. of Pittsburgh; pop. in 1870, 3,908. Small steamers run to Pittsburgh, and railroad communication is furnished by the Franklin branch of the Atlantic and Great Western, the Franklin division of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, and the Alleghany Valley line. It owes its prosperity mainly to the trade in petroleum, of which there are many wells in the vicinity. It has two weekly newspapers, a national bank, several oil refineries, a number of schools, and six or seven churches.

II. A town and the capital of Williamson co., Tennessee, on the Harpeth river, 18 m. S. of Nashville; pop. in 1870, 1,552. A severe battle was fought here, Nov. 30, 1864, between the Union forces under Gen. Schofield and the confederates under Gen. Hood, brought on by the latter to prevent the former from reaching Nashville. After a determined attack the confederates were repulsed. The confederate loss is stated at from 4,500 to 6,000; that of the Union army at 2,32G. The result was that Nashville remained in the possession of the Unionists during the remainder of the war. HI. A town and the capital of St. Mary parish, Louisiana, port of entry of the district of Teche, situated on the right bank of Bayou Teche, 65 m. by water from the gulf of Mexico, and 88 m. W. by S. of New Orleans; pop. in 1870, 1,265, of whom 503 were colored. It is the shipping point for large quantities of cotton, sugar, and corn produced in the neighborhood, and is accessible by large steamboats. In 1872 there were belonging to the port 52 vessels with an aggregate tonnage of 3,353.

IV. A city and the capital of Johnson co., Indiana, situated on Young's creek, and on the Cincinnati and Martinsville, and the Jeffersonville, Madison, and Indinnopolis railroads, 20 m. S. by E. of Indianapolis; pop. in 1870, 2,707. It is the seat of Franklin college (Baptist), founded in 1835, which in 1872 had 8 professors and instructors, 38 students, and a library of 1,000 volumes. It also contains two national banks, two weekly newspapers, ten public schools, and several churches.