Gallaudet. I. Thomas Hopkins, founder of the first institution in America for instruction of the deaf and dumb, born in Philadelphia, Dec. 10, 1787, died in Hartford, Conn., Sept. 9, 1851. He was of Huguenot descent, early removed with his parents to Hartford, and graduated at Yale college in 1805. He entered the theological seminary at Andover in 1811, and was licensed to preach in 1814, but soon became interested in the instruction of deaf mutes, and was appointed to superintend the establishment of an institution at Hartford for that purpose. In 1815 he visited London, Edinburgh, and Paris, and returned in 1816 with Laurent Clerc as his assistant. (See Clerc.) The asylum went into operation in 1817 with a class of seven pupils. Dr. Gallaudet resigned his connection with it as principal on account of impaired health in 1830, but continued to be one of the directors. He afterward prepared various works to aid the education of the young, and in 1838 became chaplain of the Connecticut retreat for the insane, at Hartford, which office he retained till his death.
He published a volume of "Discourses" (London, 1818), preached to an English congregation in Paris, a series of "Bible Stories for the Young," The Child's Book of the Soul" (3d ed., 1850), The Youth's Book of Natural Theology," and other similar works, and edited 6 vols, of the Annals of the Deaf and Dumb (Hartford). His biography, by Heman Humphrey, D. D., was published in New York in 1858. H. Thomas, an American clergyman, son of the preceding, born in Hartford, Conn., June 3, 1822. He was a professor in the New York institution for deaf mutes from 1843 to 1858. In 1850 he received orders in the Episcopal church, and in 1852 founded St. Ann's church for deaf mutes and their friends, for which a church edifice and rectory, in 18th street, near Fifth avenue, were purchased in 1859. Through his efforts and example church services for deaf mutes have also been established in Philadelphia, Baltimore, Albany, Boston, and other places. Dr. Gallaudet is a frequent contributor to the "American Annals of the Deaf and Dumb" and other periodicals. 111. Edward Miner, LL. D., a deaf-mute instructor, brother of the preceding, born in Hartford, Feb. 5,1837. He became a teacher in the Hartford asylum in 1856, and in 1857 organized at Washington, D. C, the Columbia institution for the deaf and dumb and the blind.
This enterprise proved very successful, and in 1864 he initiated measures for the establishment of the national deaf-mute college, of which he became president and professor of moral and political science. In 1867 he visited the principal deaf-mute institutions of Europe, and on his return in 1868 published an elaborate report of his investigations.