DACCA, a city of Bengal, 150 miles NE. of Calcutta, on the north bank of the Buriganga. From 1010 to 1704 capital of Mohammedan Bengal, it was in 1905 made headquarters of the newly-constituted joint province of Eastern Bengal and Assam. The suburbs formerly extended 15 miles northward, where mosques and brick buildings are still found buried in thick jungle. In the 18th century it became widely celebrated for its delicate muslins; but after 1817 this trade declined, under the competition of Manchester piece-goods, and the aspect of the city changed with the disastrous decay of its staple industry. The general development, however, of trade throughout the presidency, and the opening of the State Railway in 1886, has brought back a share of its former prosperity. A small colony of muslin-weavers still survives, and other manufactures are coarse cotton cloth, embroidery, silver-work, shell-carving, and pottery. Dacca College (1835) has about 300 students. Pop. (1800) 200,000; (1872) 69,212; (1901) 90,542.