Bloomington, a village and the capital of Monroe co.. Indiana, situated on a ridge between the E. and W. forks of White river; pop. in 1870, 1,032. A railroad from New Albany to Michigan City passes through-the village. It is the seat of the state university, which in 1871 had 13 instructors, 277 male and 31 female students, and a library of 5,000 volumes. The law school connected with it had 2 professors, 53 students, 229 alumni, and a library of 1,100 volumes.
Bloomington, a city and the capital of McLean co., Illinois, 116 m. S. S. W. of Chicago, and 154 m. N. N. E. of St. Louis; pop. in 1860, 7,075; in 1870, 14,590. The city is handsomely built, has street railways and steam fire engines, and contains 36 schools attended by 3,091 pupils, a female seminary, and the Major female college. The Illinois Wesleyan university, a Methodist Episcopal institution, was organized in 1852, and in 1870 had 200 pupils in all the departments, 6 instructors, and a library of 15,000 volumes. Three daily and two weekly papers are published. Bloomington is a great railroad centre, and is increasing rapidly in population and wealth. The Chicago, Alton, and St. Louis railroad and the northern division of the Illinois Central intersect at this point, which is also on the line of the Indianapolis, Blooming-ton, and Western railway. The construction and repair shops of the Chicago and Alton company are built of stone, and with the yards attached cover 13 acres of ground. The city also contains numerous mills and factories of all descriptions.
A large wholesale trade is carried on, the city competing with Chicago and St. Louis for the patronage of the neighboring towns.