Botzen (Ital. Bolzano), a town of Tyrol, Austria, in the circle of Brixen, beautifully situated at the confluence of the Talfer and Eisack, the latter of which empties into the Adige 2 m. below the town, and on the Brenner railway, 52 m. S. of Innspruck; pop. in 1869, 9,357, chiefly Italians. It is surrounded by mountains and built in an Italian style, many streets being bordered with arcades. It is protected against inundations by a strong dike. In the parish church, a Gothic building of the 14th century, is a monument of the archduke Rainer. In the new cemetery on the E. side of the church is a fine monument by Schnorr. The wine of Terlau, produced in the vicinity, is celebrated, and the country abounds in other good wines and in excellent fruit. The principal articles of trade are silk, leather, and fruit, and there are four annual fairs, the situation of the town at the junction of the roads to Germany, Italy, and Switzerland producing great commercial activity. The weekly markets are especially interesting, owing to the variety of Tyrolese costumes. - The Roman citadel Pons Drusi probably occupied the site of Botzen.