A N. E. County Of Minnesota, bounded N. E. by the chain of small lakes which separate that state from British America, S. E. by Lake Superior, and drained by St. Louis, Vermilion, and other rivers; area, 6,500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,561. The county is interspersed with lakes, the largest of which are Vermilion and Pelican. It contains much timber. The value of manufactures, according to the census of 1870, was $262,000, the chief establishments being three saw mills. The Northern Pacific and Lake Superior and Mississippi railroads terminate at the capital, Du-luth.
An E. County Of Missouri, occupying the tongue of land formed by the junction of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, and drained by the Maramec; area, 550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 351,189, of whom 26,387 were colored. The surface is varied and the soil very fertile. There are extensive mines of coal and quarries of marble, and the W. part extends into the great iron region of the state. The chief productions in 1870 were 454,026 bushels of wheat, 1,023,978 of Indian corn, 280,783 of oats, 24,-062 of barley, 377,316 of potatoes, 30,333 tons of hay, 14,570 lbs. of tobacco, 15,537 of wool, 288,615 of butter, 39,815 of cheese, and 46,836 gallons of wine. There were on farms 7,037 horses, 2,229 mules and asses, 8,216 milch cows, 5,136 other cattle, 6,692 sheep, and 27,198 swine. Capital, St. Louis.