Sandwich, a town of Barnstable co., Massachusetts, extending across the peninsula of Cape Cod from Cape Cod bay to Buzzard's bay, 50 m. S. S. E. of Boston; pop. in 1870, 3,694; in 1875, 3,416. There are within the town eight stations on the Old Colony railroad and Wood's Hole branch, and nine post offices, viz.: Cohasset Narrows, East Sandwich, Monument, North Sandwich, Pocasset, Sandwich, South Sandwich, Spring Hill, and West Sandwich. The bays afford fine facilities for bathing and fishing. Many summer cottages have been erected in different parts of the town. The principal village is on the N. side, and is nearly surrounded by hills from which extensive views may be obtained. In clear weather Provincetown, 30 m. distant across the bay, is visible. The route of the projected ship canal, to connect the waters of Buzzard's bay with those of Cape Cod bay, lies through this town. The establishment of the Boston and Sandwich glass company is the largest of its kind in New England, and produces articles of superior quality.

There are also a tack factory, a car factory, two iron founderies, a savings bank, 21 public schools, a weekly newspaper, a library of 1,100 volumes, and 10 churches.