Sandusky, a N. county of Ohio, bordered N. E. by Sandusky bay in Lake Erie, intersected by Sandusky river, and also drained by Portage river and several smaller streams, and traversed by several railroads; area, about 425 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 25,503. It has a low and level surface and fertile soil. In the W. part is the Black swamp, covered with forests, which has been reclaimed and is highly productive. The chief productions in 1873 were 405,116 bushels of wheat, 789,793 of Indian corn, 280,013 of oats, 121,575 of potatoes, 474,769 of apples, 21,131 tons of hay, 67,329 lbs. of cheese, and 141,879 of wool. In 1874 there were 8,726 horses, 18,301 cattle, 40,370 sheep, and 20,227 swine; in 1870, 5 manufactories of brick, 11 of carriages and wagons, 1 of railroad cars, 6 of furniture, 4 of iron castings, 2 of engines and boilers, 7 of cooperage, 1 of woollens, 6 flour mills, 30 saw mills, and 6 tanneries. Capital, Fremont.

Sandusky #1

Sandusky, a city, port of entry, and the capital of Erie co., Ohio, finely situated on the S. shore of Sandusky bay, 3 m. from Lake Erie, and 105 m. N. by E. of Columbus; pop. in 1860, 8,408; in 1870, 13,000; in 1875, about 20,000. It has an excellent harbor, the bay being about 20 m. long by about 5 m. wide, with an average depth of 14 ft., easy of access, and secure in all weather. The city is built on an inexhaustible bed of excellent limestone, extensively employed for building purposes and in the manufacture of lime. The site rises gradually from the shore and commands a beautiful view of the bay. The city and neighboring islands are a favorite summer resort. The Lake Erie division of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad, and the Cincinnati, Sandusky, and Cleveland, and Lake Shore and Michigan Southern railroads, meet here. Sandusky is extensively engaged in exporting fresh and salted fish, ice, pine and hardwood lumber, shingles, and laths, and is the centre of one of the most important vine-growing districts in the United States. The value of imports from Canada for the year ending June 30, 1874, was $26,240; of exports to Canada, $264,914. The number of entrances was 136, tonnage 12,089; clearances, 155, tonnage 14,332. The number of entrances in the coastwise trade was 3,140, tonnage 479,897; clearances, 3,124, tonnage 474,602. The city is celebrated for its manufacture of articles in wood, of which handles, spokes and hubs, "bent work" for carriages, and carpenters' tools are the most important.

It contains three national banks, several public schools, a daily, a semi-weekly, and three weekly newspapers, and 14 churches.