Saratoga, an E. county of New York, bounded E and partly N. by the Hudson river, and S. by the Mohawk; area, 780 sq; m.; pop. in 1870, 51,529. The surface is mountainous in the northwest. Iron ore, sandstone, and limestone are abundant. The central portion abounds in mineral springs, principally at Saratoga and Ballston Spa. The Champlain canal passes along the E. and the Erie along the S. border, and it is traversed by several railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 15,913 bushels of wheat, 173,599 of rye, 381,541 of Indian corn, 581,674 of oats, 144,985 of buckwheat, 1,236,915 of potatoes, 83,399 tons of hay, 194,792 lbs. of wool, 1,426,308 of butter, 83,277 of cheese, 52,296 of hops, and 38,316 of honey. There were 9,200 horses, 15,779 milch cows, 11,041 other cattle, 40,513 sheep, and 7,675 swine; 6 manufactories of boats, 8 of brick, 32 of carriages and wagons, 3 of cotton goods, 4 of woollen goods, 1 of linen, 1 of window glass, 1 of edge tools and axes, 3 of hardware, 6 of iron castings, 6 of machinery, 2 of engines and boilers, 12 of paper, 20 of saddlery and harness, 8 of sash, doors, and blinds, 4 of wooden ware, 10 tanneries, 16 flour mills, and 30 saw mills.
Capital, Ballston Spa.