Schlettstadt (Fr. Schelestadt Or Schlestadt), a town of Germany, in Lower Alsace, on the left bank of the Ill, 25 m. S. S. W. of Stras-burg; pop. in 1871, 9,307, chiefly Roman Catholics. It contains several fine mediaeval churches, a college, a public library, and a Catholic normal seminary opened in 1872. Leather, cotton goods, potash, and many other articles are manufactured; and there is trade in wine, tobacco, rape seed, hemp, and flax. Schlettstadt was a town in the 8th century, having been founded on the site of one destroyed by Attila, and was fortified and became a free imperial city in the 13th century. Agricola established a school here. It was taken by the Swedes in 1632, was annexed to France in 1648, and subsequently became the capital of an arrondissement in the department of Bas-Rhin. The fortifications, designed by Vauban, commanded the railway lines and the military road to Belfort and Besancon. The Germans captured it after a siege in October, 1870, and subsequently demolished the fortifications.