Waterbubt, a town and city of New Haven co., Connecticut, on the Naugatuck river and railroad, at the W. terminus of the Hartford, Providence, and Fishkill railroad, 75 m. N. E. of New York and 33 m. by rail S. W. of Hartford; pop. of the town in 1850, 5,137; in 1860, 10,004; in 1870, 13,106, and of the city, 10,826. The city is on the E. bank of the river, and is surrounded by hills. It has many fine residences, excellent water works, and a good fire department, and is lighted with gas. Near the centre is a publio park finely laid out, and on the W. bank opposite lies the handsome Riverside cemetery, containing 40 acres. The city hall is a fine structure. Adjoining it is the Bronson free library, endowed by Silas Bronson with $200,000; it contains more than 18,000 volumes. St. John's church (Episcopal) and the first Congregational church are handsome buildings. Waterbury is celebrated for the extent and variety of its manufactures. The manufacture of gilt buttons was begun in 1802, and after the war of 1812 the rolling of brass and copper and the production of brass and copper wire were introduced; and Waterbury is now the centre of the brass industry of the country.

There are six rolling mills, each having a capital of from $200,000 to $400,000; two clock companies, a large suspender and webbing factory, and one of the most extensive pin factories in the country. Altogether there are about 30 joint-stock companies, with an aggregate capital of $6,000,000. More than 4,000 operatives, chiefly males, are employed, and the monthly wages amount to $175,000. About 3,000 tons of raw copper are annually consumed in the production of rolled copper and brass, brass and copper wire, tubing, German silver, plate brass, hooks and eyes, etc. The factories are very fine buildings. The city contains two national banks and two savings institutions. The public schools, including a high school, are attended by 3,000 pupils. There are also three academies. A daily and two weekly newspapers are published. There are seven churches: Baptist, Congregational (2), Episcopal, Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Universalist. The town was settled in 1667, and called Mattatuck till 1686. The city was incorporated in 1853.

Water Scorpion (Nepa cinerea).

Water Scorpion (Nepa cinerea).