Sir Richard, an English sculptor, born in London in 1775, died there, Sept. 1, 1856. He studied at first under his father and afterward under Canova, remaining in Italy from 1793 to 1797. Among his works are statues of Pitt, Fox, and Addison; the duke of York on the column in Waterloo place; the colossal equestrian bronze statue of George III. at Windsor; and the monuments of Oollingwood, Abercromby, Pakenham, and Erskine. He also excelled in the representation of children. His "Psyche" and "Cupid," "Nymph and Cupid," and the large rilievo of the " Dream of Horace " evince both skill and a feeling for the antique. In 1827 he succeeded Flaxman as professor of sculpture at the royal academy, and in 1837 was knighted.
Richard, son of the preceding, born in London in 1799, died April 19, 1872. He studied under his father and in Italy from 1820 to 1826. He treated subjects taken from classic mythology in his father's style, but excelled in devotional and monumental works. Among the latter are the recumbent figure of the archbishop of Canterbury, the " Angel Watching" on the Ashburton monument, "David as the Slayer of Goliath," and the group of figures on the pediment of the royal exchange. He succeeded his father as professor of sculpture in 1857.