Wobcrn, a town of Middlesex co., Massachusetts, on the Boston and Lowell railroad, 10 m. N. W. of Boston; pop. in 1850, 3,956; in 1860, 6,287; in 1870, 8,560; in 1875, 9,568. It contains 7,750 acres. The surface is diversified, and there are several ponds. From the largest, Horn pond, which covers 150 acres, 40,000 tons of ice are shipped annually. The soil is good. The town is lighted with gas, and is supplied with water through 25 m. of pipe from a spring near Horn pond. The water is pumped into a reservoir holding 6,000,000 gallons, 222 ft. above the pond. A soldiers' monument has been erected in the centre of the town. Many of the inhabitants do business in Boston. The principal industry is the manufacture of leather, in which 30 establishments are engaged, employing about 1,500 men. There are a national and a savings bank. The public schools are graded and are attended by about 2,000 pupils. The high school, founded in 1852, prepares students for college. The Warren academy, founded in 1825, is conducted as a scientific school, and prepares students for the Massachusetts institute of technology. Two weekly newspapers are published. The sum of $200,000 has recently been bequeathed to the town for a library building and art gallery.

There are nine churches, viz.: Baptist (2), Congregational (2), Episcopal, Methodist, Roman Catholic, Swedenborgian, and Unitarian. - Woburn was settled from Charlestown in 1640, and was called "Charlestown Village." It was incorporated under its present name in 1642. It is the birthplace of Count Rumford.