Yonkers, a city of Westchester co., New York, on the E. bank of the Hudson river, joining New York city on the south, 16 m. N. of the city hall; pop. in 1875, 17,269. The built up portion is picturesquely situated on rising ground adjacent to the river, opposite the Palisades, is well shaded, and has numerous fine residences with handsome grounds. The old Philipse manor house, built partly in 1682 and partly in 1745, is used as the city hall. The city is lighted with gas, and water works costing $750,000 are to go into operation in September, 1876. The water is to be pumped from two streams within the city limits into a reservoir containing 400,000,000 gallons, 297 ft. above the Hudson. The Hudson River railroad passes along the bank of the river, the New York, Boston, and Montreal through the interior parts, and the New York and Harlem along the E. border. The Neperhan or Saw Mill river, entering the Hudson at this point, furnishes water power. There are three manufactories of felt hats, one of felt robes and cloths, two of sewing silk, one of sewing silk and ribbons, one of lead pencils, one of carpets, one of elevators, two of mowing machines, one of barrels, one of sugar, one of leather, one of boats, two machine shops, an iron foundery, a brass foundery, and a brewery.
The city contains two national banks, two savings banks, four public schools, two Roman Catholic schools, and five private schools. Three weekly newspapers are published. There are 16 churches, viz.: 2 Baptist, 3 Episcopal, 1 Lutheran, 3 Methodist, 3 Presbyterian, 1 Reformed, 2 Roman Catholic, and 1 Unitarian. - Yonkers was settled about 1650, and for about a century prior to the revolution was a manor in the possession of the Philipse family. It was organized as a town in 1788. In 1855 the village of Yonkers was incorporated. In 1872 the town was divided, the N. portion being •erected into the city of Yonkers and the S. portion set off as the town of Kingsbridge, which became a part of New York city in 1874.