Hush, a town of Roumania, in Moldavia, near the Pruth, 36 m. S. E. of Jassy; pop. about 13,000. It is the seat of a Greek bishop, and has a normal school. Here, on July 25, 1711, the peace was concluded between Russia and Turkey which saved Peter the Great and his array on the Pruth from destruction or captivity.
Hussars (Hung, husz, 20, and ar, rate), the national cavalry of Hungary and Croatia. The name is also applied to some bodies of light cavalry in the armies of other countries of Europe. It is derived from the fact that in the 15th century every 20 houses in Hungary were required to furnish a soldier with a horse and furniture. The arms of the hussars are a sabre, a carbine, and pistols. Their regimentals were originally a fur cap with a feather, a doublet, a pair of breeches to which the stockings were attached, and a pair of red or yellow boots. There were five regiments of hussars under Tilly at Leipsic in 1631. The name first became general in the 18th century, when regiments of hussars were organized in the principal European armies.
Huy, a town of Belgium, in the province and 16 m. S. W. of the city of Liege, at the entrance of the Hoyoux into the Meuse; pop. in 1866, 11,055. It has a handsome Gothic church, a college, manufactories of paper, leather, and faience, distilleries, and an active trade. The former abbey of Neufmoutier contained the tomb of Peter the Hermit, by whom it had been founded; in 1858 a statue was erected in his honor in the garden of the abbey. In the neighborhood there are mines of iron, zinc, and coal, and several mineral springs.
Hy Bla, the name of several cities of ancient Sicily, the most considerable of which were the following. I. Hybla Major, or Magna, situated on the southern declivity of Mt. Etna, near the river Symaethus. It was founded by the Siculi, and was one of those which Ducetius, a chief of that people, sought to unite into a confederacy against the Greeks and Carthaginians. In the time of Cicero Hybla Major was an opulent municipium, but in that of Pausanias it was a poor decayed place. Its site was probably at Paterno, where an altar has been discovered dedicated to Venus Victrix Hyblensis. II. Hybla Minor, which stood so near Megara on the E. coast, N. of Syracuse, that the two cities were often confounded, was likewise of Siculic origin. It was chiefly celebrated for the honey produced in its vicinity.
Hyacinthus, in Greek mythology, son of the Spartan king Amyclas and Diomede, or of Pierus and Clio, or of CEbalus and Eurotas. He was a boy of great beauty and the favorite of Apollo, but was also beloved by Zephyrus, who from jealousy caused his death as he was playing with Apollo, by blowing the quoit of the god against his head. From his blood sprang the flower hyacinth, upon whose leaves appears the Greek exclamation of woe AI, AI, or the letter beginning his name