Rigi, Or Righi, an isolated mountain of Switzerland, in the canton of Schwytz, between the lakes of Zug and Lucerne. The highest point, the Rigi Kulm, is 5,902 ft. above the sea, or about 4,500 ft. above the lake of Lucerne. The view from this summit is one of the most extensive in the Alps, embracing most of E. and N. Switzerland and the Jura mountains, and extending far into Swabia. There are numerous hotels and sanitariums on the mountain, which attract as many as 40,000 visitors annually. The summit is accessible by roads from various points at the base. In 1873 a railway on the plan of the one at Mt. Washington, N. II., was completed to the Rigi Kulm. It starts from Vitznau, on Lake Lucerne, on the S. side of the mountain, and its grades range from 7 to about 30 in 100.
Riley, a N. E. county of Kansas, bounded E. by the Big Blue river, and S. and S. W. by the Kansas and Republican rivers; area, 654 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,105. The Kansas Pacific railroad passes along the S. border. The surface is diversified and the soil fertile. Limestone and sandstone are found. The chief productions in 1870 were 78,166 bushels of wheat, 405,277 of Indian corn, 57,730 of oats, 43,086 of potatoes, 111,590 lbs. of butter, and 15,740 tons of hay. There were 2,299 horses, 2,192 milch cows, 4,458 other cattle, 2,190 sheep, and 1,758 swine; 1 flour mill, 3 saw mills, 2 breweries, 3 manufactories of saddlery and harness, and 3 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware. Capital, Manhattan.
Rimini (anc. Ariminum), a town of central Italy, at the mouth of the Marecchia in the Adriatic, in the province and 30 m. S. E. of the city of Forli, with which it is connected by railway; pop. in 1872, 33,886. It contains celebrated antiquities, especially a bridge of the finest white marble built under Augustus and Tiberius at the junction of the Via Flaminia and Via AEmilia. The church of San Francesco is of remarkable architecture, and was built by Pandolfo Malatesta, whose family were the local rulers from the beginning of the 13th century to the beginning of the 16th. Rimini possesses one of the largest and finest theatres of Italy. - See Storia Riminese, by Tonini (2 vols., Rimini, 1860).
Rimouski, an E. county of Quebec, Canada, bounded N. W. by the St. Lawrence river, near its mouth; area, 4,932 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 27,418, of whom 25,957 were of French and 880 of Scotch origin or descent. It is watered by streams flowing into the St. Lawrence and into the Restigouche river and bay of Chaleurs, and is traversed by the Intercolonial railway. Capital, Rimouski.
Ring George, an E. county of Virginia, bounded N. and E. by the Potomac river and S. by the Rappahannock; area, 176 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,472, of whom 2,812 were colored. The surface and soil are both diversified. The chief productions in 1870 were 34,463 bushels of wheat, 144,807 of Indian corn, 11,652 of oats, and 29,322 lbs. of butter. There were 843 horses, 2,706 cattle, and 2,440 swine. Capital, King George Court House.